Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Shove Your Universal Love Up Your Singular Exit

                                                                       With permission of Jordan Zevon






      From where I sit ..universal love is silly and irrational.  What I mean by that is...we don't really love EVERYONE. I love my family...and friends...because I VALUE them. But the people I do not know ... and have never known ...the people I pass by in the streets..I cannot possibly love. I don't love or put any value in people I have never met . How could I ..how would I...why should I?? In the case of the internet...the same goes with people I have not yet known ... for many years. But  having established mutual value..one could say ..a form of love is established..in the strictest  sense...as with a friend.

    When you love someone..as in a wife..child or good friend...hate is also possible...and really..only possible if there is love. Otherwise...in a balanced person...there is just indifference. There is empathy... common courtesy ..respect...for other people...and the behaviors we evolved as a species ..in order to form functional and beneficial societies. But there is no hate for strangers...unless one is unbalanced or irrational. And one might say (and I do) that the same would seem to apply to love.


    It is fairly simple to me. There is the type of love that we develop in a familial sense. The love is seen in nature. It is an evolutionary adaptation. Chimps squirrels...hell..even chickens have a semblance of it. And then there is the irrational love that came out of christianity..the love that tells us to give everything away...give unto ceasar...and bendover and take it up the tuches.. like good slaves. it is the love that would have us turn the other cheek ...and never use judgment...the kind of love that almost forbids us to protect ourselves adequately from people that could be psychopaths..sociopaths or con artists...like PRIEST PEDOPHILES...OR EVANGELICAL CON ARTISTS OR PULPIT PUSSYcat  HOUNDS. It is the love that makes it possible for psychopaths to rule over masses of people without ever being stopped. Its the mentality that will be the extinction of our species...if you ask me...and I'm assuming someone did..or would.


     If you ask me...and again.. as I indicated previously..I am just assuming someone is....it is only possible ..to have love for a stranger..or even hate(as with bigots and racists etc)..from my perspective... if one makes believe there is value established ...and/or taken away as in the case of hate..when there hasn't been any such occurrence. A form of dangerous irrationality..much like it's make believe cousin ...faith. And it leads..in my opinion ..to a collective dumbing down of the species. Why would stupid people ever work to improve when they have a whole busload of stupid people that love them...just because?


    A stranger might be a damned pedophile that has been stalking my children behind my back. And I should love them??? With what rational judgement? No..I think I might  treat them kindly..as I would any stranger in society..because I wish for others in society to do likewise for me. But I should not love them blindly without having first found value or as in the case with a pedophile rapist or murderer... value's counterpart. And in order to do that adequately..I would need to know them intimately..certainly enough so that I would at least  know if they were stalking my children...or plotting my murder.

When speaking of love...it's just not loving to anyone to spread it universally thin...so to speak. One can only earnestly love but a few people in ones life..otherwise...they are not genuinely loving anyone at all. At least that is how I see it.





19 comments:

  1. Universal love would be a devaluation of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aleister, sounds like you approve of objectivism. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I could claim objectivism..I am not ready to go that far...lol

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Aleister :) and you anonymous and you ajay :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel kinship with my fellow humans, but actually love very few of them. You have an excellent perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer most animals to humans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what you mean by universal love, maybe a definition would help me understand what you mean by it. So I googled it and found this website.
    http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/universal-love
    It's a little too metaphorical for me, so I guess I'm also not a big believer in "universal love."
    I've never thought about universal love before, but there are some innate traits in many animals, us included, that make us care for and maybe even show "love" for strangers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vdjEbYsksM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsyfrcLu_zc
    Also you mentioned pedophiles. What is that makes you want to protect all children, even ones you've never seen or will ever meet, from pedophiles? If the feelings of protection for unknown children exist in you, what are those feelings? If they are not some kind of "universal love", what are they? Or am I wrong in my assumption you have an innate desire to protect children from pedophiles?
    Also, when we see pain and suffering of others and other animals, why does my heart go out to them. Even animals. This video is a crime in my eyes. But why do I consider it a crime? Why can't I respect the culture of another society? How is it the people in this video feel nothing for the animals they are skinning, yet I do?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDalXhPmt_k
    I guess I have no opinion on universal love, but your post makes me question myself when I think about what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Also you mentioned pedophiles. What is that makes you want to protect all children, even ones you've never seen or will ever meet, from pedophiles? If the feelings of protection for unknown children exist in you, what are those feelings? " first of all..define love - an intense feeling of deep affection. And then empathy- the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Now...I thought I made it very clear in the blog...I'm still wondering why you are not following. Also...I never once said I desire to protect the worlds children from pedophiles..I said or indicated ...that I wish to protect my own..as does anyone...this is also a natural thing. But if you say you wish to protect the children of the wor;d..then why then are you not out there doing it right now? See..I would kill to protect my children...but I am not out there killing to protect the rest of the children in the world...no..of course not..I will do what I can...common courtesy..empathy...I might call the police...or child protective...but im not going to the ends of the earth to protect the rest of the children in the world...the word you are looking for is empathy...I have empathy for other human beings...and as I stated in the blog "There is empathy... common courtesy ..respect...for other people...and the behaviors we evolved as a species ..in order to form functional and beneficial societies." See...go back and read my blog and think about your questions again. I leave you with this...reread the definition of love above...and apply is to this simple definition of universal love (Love for Everything and Everyone) and then...slowly reread the blog...and see if you don't realize why I am confused you are not grasping it.

      Delete
    2. Also Leveni..I regret there are no "like" buttons in blogger...because I DO appreciate your participation here...what a waste of effort it would be if everyone simply agreed.

      Delete
  8. The link you gave talks about "cardinal virtues". And gives another link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_virtue
    And these cardinal virtues are all based on Plato's book The Republic. So I still don't understand what you mean by "universal love." If you could give a definition in your own words that'd help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leveni...are you having trouble understanding plain English? I am pretty sure I made it clear how I personally define 'universal love' in this blog...since it is my blog and in it I am sharing my opinion. Let me put it this way...for me its simple..universal love is this ridiculous notion that we should love everyone in the world equally regardless of their value...and again...I'm pretty sure I made that clear in the blog which is why I wondering if there is some sort of language barrier...

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The opposite of love is not hatred---it's indifference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I never said that hatred was the opposite of love ..I said "When you love someone..as in a wife..child or good friend...hate is also possible...and really..only possible if there is love. Otherwise...in a balanced person...there is just indifference. There is empathy... common courtesy ..respect...for other people...and the behaviors we evolved as a species ..in order to form functional and beneficial societies. But there is no hate for strangers...unless one is unbalanced or irrational. And one might say (and I do) that the same would seem to apply to love." :-)

      Delete